Copyright © Forte International. All rights reserved.
Global Hospitals Information Centre for Sri Lanka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology provides a wide range of health care, educative, and supportive services from preconception planning to pregnancy care, as well as childbirth to postpartum care. It also provides highly specialized care for high-risk pregnancy. The treatments include all reproductive and related issues such as:Type your paragraph here.
Infertility – The department provides state-of-the-art assisted reproductive treatment.
Gynecological Problems – Gynecologists are available to treat all kinds of gynecological problems with the help of excellent laboratory and imaging facilities to facilitate prompt diagnosis.
Surgical Procedures - Includes minimal invasive surgery as well as conventional and cancer surgery, which are performed by a competent team of gynecologists, gyneac-oncologists and anesthetists. The operation theatre is extremely well equipped and has an ICU back up.
Obstetrics – The department has all facilities to handle any obstetric emergency:
- Genetic Counseling - The department has gynecologists who can help expecting parents handle the risk of defective genes, especially among parents who are at high-risk of having a child with genetic deformity.
- Pre-Conception Counseling – The doctors help couples who are trying to conceive and advise them on the best ways to succeed.
- Antenatal - For both low and high-risk women, the department offers antenatal screening for all diseases, antenatal check–ups, advice on nutrition and exercise during pregnancy. Lamaze classes are arranged for expectant mother.
During Labor – The department provides:
- High Risk Pregnancy - The department has specialized clinics for high-risk pregnancies.
- Infant Care – After the child is born, the department provides neo-natal care for the infant to thrive.
- Post Natal Care – The staff helps the new mother with care of the newborn, breast-feeding, and immunization.
Gynecology - Some of the services provided by the department are:
- General Gynecology – This includes menstrual disorders, white discharge, abdominal and pelvic pain, vulval problems, breast lumps and breast pain, and infertility.
- Gynec Oncology – This includes screening for all gynecological cancers like cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, breast cancer, and uterus cancer. It also offers treatment for all types of cancer both early and advanced stages.
- Family Planning and Sexual Health – This includes contraceptive counseling, “Copper T” insertion, sterilization for both women and men, and all other newer methods of contraception.
- Menopausal Problems – This includes Osteoporosis and Hormone replacement therapy.
Preventive Healthcare – The department has programs in both gynecology and obstetrics for prevention and early detection of disorders. The well-women checkup is designed to detect the earliest signs of disorders of the breast and the organs of reproduction, and care to your contraceptive needs. A mammogram, an ultrasound scan of pelvis, and a pap smear of the cervix are an integral part of the well women checkup.